Japanese Yakitori (Skewered, Grilled Chicken)
Author: Naoko Yoshioka
Recipe type: Main Dish, Chicken
- 10 oz. (300 g) boned chicken thigh
- 10 oz. (300 g) boned chicken breast
- 8 oz. (230 g) chicken liver
- 2 green onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) mirin (sweet rice wine)
- ½ cup (120 ml) soy sauce
- 1 slice of lemon
- sansho (powdered Japanese pepper) try substituting coarse-ground black pepper(preference)
- sichimi-togarashi (powdered spice mix) try substituting five-spice or other spice mix(preference)
- bamboo skewers, soaked in salted water to prevent burning(preference)
- Soak liver in water for 15-20 minutes to remove blood.
- Cut all chicken into bite-size pieces. Thread 4 pieces of chicken onto each skewer. Cut green onions into 2-inch pieces and thread onto skewers.
- Combine sauce ingredients and boil until reduced to ⅔ original amount.
- Cook meat and vegetable skewers on grill or under broiler. Brush meat with sauce 2-3 times while cooking. Brush vegetables once. Some skewers can be cooked without sauce, just sprinkled with salt.
- Serve with lemon quarters, sansho, and/or sichimi-togarashi.
There you have it. Hope you enjoy this, until next time let’s cook together. 次回は一緒に作りましょう～^^/~~ PS: If you enjoy my Daily recipe subscribe to my RSS Feed and I also have available my first e-Book, which is FREE to you for coming by and reading my Cooking Japanese Style. Thank you..